Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 45 minutes
Buy Kona coffee Ingredients:
- 1 prime rib roast* 3 to 4 rib
- 2 tablespoons pure Kona grounds
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 vanilla bean seeds scraped
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons to 2 coarse salt
- 2-3 cups chopped root vegetables (I used potatoes brussels + carrots)
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 heads garlic tips sliced off
Roasted Garlic Gorgonzola Butter
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese crumbled
- 1 teaspoon worchestire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-6 cloves roasted garlic from the 2 heads above
buy Kona coffee, in a bowl, combine the coffee, brown sugar, smoked paprika, chili powder, ginger, vanilla bean seeds, salt and black pepper. Rub spice mixture all over the beef, coating evenly. Add the chopped root vegetables, onion and garlic to a roasting pan. Place beef on top of the vegetables and allow it to come to room temperature. Ether leave on the counter for 30 minutes, or refrigerate covered, overnight or up to 1 day. About 3 hours before you plan to cook the beef, remove it from the refrigerator.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Cook beef for 30 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into meat (away from bone) registers 115 to 120 degrees (for rare) or 125 degrees for medium rare, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes longer. Let rest 20 minutes.
While the meat is resting, grab the roasted garlic and mash finely with a fork. Combine the mashed garlic, butter, gorgonzola cheese, worchestire sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
Slice meat away from ribs, cutting along the bones. Then, slice meat crosswise to desired thickness. Serve with the gorgonzola butter.
- Buy Kona coffee works best, here is our favorite 100% kona